Monday, May 28, 2012

Journal Entry 1 (Pg.1-24)

A. Alice, in the beginning, seems happy until something happened between her and Roger. A week and a half later her family is moving because her dad got a new job and life seem to be good for Alice. When they move and Alice goes to her new school, she is ignored by everyone until she make one friend, Gerta. Later on, she makes another friend, Beth, and they seem to bond. During their break from school, Alice finds out Beth is going to a summer camp and they spend their last few days together.

B. "A whole week has gone by and no one has done more than stare at me in a kind of curious, hostile, 'what are you doing here?' kind of way. I've tried to bury myself in books and my studies and my music and pretend I don't care. I guess I don't really care, and besides what difference could it make if I did?"(Pg. 16)

This passage shows Alice in a situation that some of us have been in many times. Her reaction to being the new kid at school is the norm. No matter how many time you go through this, you realize there no point caring and just ignore those who just stare at you like some weird creature.

C. What challenges is the main character facing?
Alice is feeling out of place and like she doesn't belongs. She seeks others approval, especially her peers. This may cause her to do something to be liked that she wouldn't have done.


D. Alice is nothing more than just a simple teen. She's willing to do whatever she can to be like. One shouldn't have to do things to be liked. In the end, it won't really matter, and you find out they really didn't like you at all and you were making a fool of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment